Happy Fourth of July weekend y’all! Our dear friend Brooke is quite a pancake connoisseur. She can’t get enough she says. Since this weekend just so happens to include both her one year wedding anniversary AND her birthday, we thought we would put together a recipe just for her (and share with you!).
Lets let loose on some white chocolate, fresh blueberry and orange zest pancakes, shall we?
Basic Pancake Recipe:
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup of low-fat organic milk (although H dog recommends whole)
- 1/2 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup of organic flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
(Important note: If you’re going big with additional acidic ingredients as we are down below, then you will want to substitute baking soda for your baking powder. Acidic ingredients include orange zest or juice, molasses, brown sugar, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
1. In a medium bowl, beat eggs, milk and vanilla.
2. In a separate medium bowl, mix your above dry ingredients. Once mixed, create a well in the center of your dry mixture.
3. Add your wet mixture to your dry mixture.
Additions (the fun stuff!):
- 1 and a 1/4 cup of fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup of white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon of orange zest
6. Add in the above yummy ingredients.
7. Now we’re ready to cook these puppies. Add 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable oil (or olive oil or grape seed oil or go southern and slap down some butter!) to a 9 inch saute pan.
8. Turn your heat on medium low and heat your pan. You can drop a little water to test once ready… does it sizzle? If yes then we’re ready to cook these cakes!
9. We recommend you use a 1/2 cup to measure out each pancake.
10. Cooking on each side will vary with each pancake. The first few will take longer per side while your pan continues to heat.
11. Another tip: Be sure to add another 1/2 teaspoon of oil to the saute pan between each pancake to ensure your pancakes do not stick and that each cooks more evenly.
12. This recipe yields approx. (5) to (6) pancakes with additions, and approx. (4) if you just make the basic pancake.
Ta-da! Birthday brunch for Brooke! Enjoy!
A patriotic twist: Reduce your milk to 1 cup, reduce your blueberries to 3/4 cup and add 1/2 cup of pureed strawberries for red, white and blue pancakes!